Wednesday 22nd May: Award winning chef Sham (Shamzuri Hanifa)from The Cottage Restaurant, Jamestown will demonstrate how to prepare seasonal Recipes in Tawnytaskin Community Centre from 8pm. Admission by ticket only. To book places and for more information, please contact 086 813 0005.
Please Support - Click on a name to view more
[Marians Fashions...] [Kelly's Londis...] [Magee Fashions...] [Clarkes Bar & Restaurant...] [Drumderrig Nursing Home...][Cooney Motors...] [Keith Taylor...] [Stewarts Oil...][Ultimate Insulation...] [Joe Simon Building Supplies...]
[Taylors Interiors...] [Feelystone...] [Sloan's Topline...] [Sásta Weight Loss...]
[Abbey Haven Nursing Home...][Ardcarne Garden Centres...] [Brogans Pharmacy...] [Tony Geoghegan Photography...] [McDermott's Restaurant...]
[Property Team Smith Kelly Scott...]
Cruise the Shannon with Moon River
Sunday May 26th: in Aid of North West Hospice. Entertainment and Spot Prizes for Each Trip:
1:00pm Fergus Harman & Friends
2:15pm Fergal Harman & Gerard Dots
3:30pm Wallop the Spot
Cost: €12 per Adult and €3 per Child per trip. Admission on the boat is first come first serve basis
Boyle Town Council
I would love to write a long article about, and in praise of Boyle Town Council, former 'Boyle Town Commission'. It appears likely that Boyle Town Council (BCC) may be abolished by the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government - Mr. Phil Hogan, T.D., in June 2014. I had always looked on BCC as a Locally Elected Authority with limited power, but with a great 'inning' to Roscommon Co Council. However, with a bank balance of €220,000 in their Capital Account, accumulated over the years from Rent and Sales of Town Commission / Town Council houses and projects in Boyle, hopes for a BCC with 'clout' must now be put on hold.
• I attended most of the monthly meetings over the past three years and two notable features remain in addition to the honest, well-meant proposals from Councillors: party political cross-fire, and a frequent 'no-no' from Ros Co Co rendered BCC less than its possibility might have indicated.
• I guess I have now offended Ros Co Co and all BCC Councillors ... sorry guys and gals - I blame it on the bad weather :-)
Wait For It - No Wait !
Samsung has developed "ultra-high speed" fifth-generation technology that could allow users to download an entire film in a second, the electronics giant has said. The South Korean firm has successfully tested new equipment which it hopes will transmit data several hundred times faster than existing 4G networks (We are still using snail- paced 3G here).
Samsung hopes to bring the service to customers by 2020.
Boyle & District Angling Club - Free Angling Event
2-6pm 28th May 2-6pm: Free Event as part of the Gathering Celebrations and the Return of the Rossies, we are inviting visitors to Lough Key to participate in a pike angling event. Younger potential anglers and their parents are welcome and will be taken by our onto to the lake by our club members, all equipment will be supplied. All you have to do is enjoy and catch fish.
• To ensure a place please inform us in advance, contact Jane on 086 830 1261
Boyle Community Allotments
Martin Connolly wrote: I am looking into setting up a Boyle Community Allotments and was ask people who are interested to call me on 083 135 6184 or email me on email@example.com
Did you know?
• There is a 3-year Town Enhancement Plan by Eco Envolve for Boyle. Read full details [here...]
• The Boyle Street Resurfacing programme has been completed apart from some manhole and signage works ... it looks great!
• Rumour has it that McDonagh's on the corner of Main Street and Bridge Street has a new tenant ... watch this space!
• Boyle Town Council have €220,000 in their Capital Account, accumulated over the years from Rent and Sales of Town Commission / Town Council houses and projects in Boyle?
Clarkes Bar & Restaurant
Lunch special at Clarke's main course, dessert tea/coffee €12
• Clarke's New evening menu now available call Clarke's on 071 966 2064 to book your table.
• Opening hours: Lunch : Monday - Saturday from 12.30pm Evening meals : Thursday - Sunday from 5.30pm Should you require any catering requirements out side of these opening times please do not hesitate to contact Clarke's on 071 966 2064
Boyle Abbey Church, a Majestic Cistercian Building.
Boyle Abbey, perhaps the most iconic of heritage sites in County Roscommon, reopened for this season in early April until September 18th. The Cistercian Abbey, was established, in its present location, in 1161. It had a varied and sometimes turbulent early history until its demise, with the ‘Suppression of the Monasteries’, in the middle 1500s’. The Abbey is renowned for its variety of architectural styles with a mix of imposing Romanesque and Gothic features. Over the past few years a restoration/renewal project has been undertaken with a daring new glass North Aisle. The Abbey attracts thousands of visitors, each season, from countries all over the world. The Abbey with nearby King House, Lough Key Forest Park and Arigna Mining Experience all provide a varied and most impressive cluster of visitor attractions in the North Roscommon region. School groups are encouraged and age appropriate tours are given by the guides on duty on request. Admission fees have been reinstated after a break during the renewal project. They stand now at Adult €3; Group& Senior €2 per person; Child/Student €1 and Family €8. Admission times are from 10am until last entry at 5.15 for closing at 6pm, all seven days of the week. For further information please call 071 966 2604.
Marians, Boyle, Saturday 11th May. Click on the image to see a larger version
Boyle Town Council 10-point plan from Independent Councillors
Tuesday 7th May meeting of Boyle Town Council: In the likely event of Boyle Town Council being abolished by the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government - Mr. Phil Hogan, T.D., in June 2014, Boyle Independent Town Councillors - Raymond Maughan and Francie Geelan, have put forward the following proposal.
To spend the €220,000 in their Capital Account, accumulated over the years from Rent and Sales of Town Commission / Town Council houses on the following projects in Boyle:
1. Purchase of a Green Machine to ensure a clean and tidy town.
2. Construct Phase 2 of Greatmeadow wall to "Odbert’s fence".
3. Replace iron railings on central wall leading from outside Social Welfare Office to outside Boland’s surgery.
4. Provide footpaths from Assylinn Cemetery to junction with Mockmoyne Road and at Felton Road.
5. Complete Street Name and Welcome to Boyle signs project.
6. Provide signage from and to L. Key Forest Park / Boyle.
7. Donation to Boyle Courthouse project to attract tourists.
8. Construct a new River Walk from Boyle Pleasure Grounds to Bridge at Christ the King.
9. Provide a suitable Famine Memorial at a Boyle location.
10. Erect a Plaque acknowledging the contribution of Boyle Town Commissioners / Town Councillors to the town over the years.
Open Water Swimming
Wayne Timmons wrote: I am part of Open Water Swimmer Ireland and we are running day of lake swimming in Lough Key on June 15. We run four events nationwide, in L. Key, Gouganebarra, L. Ennell and Glendlaough, and you can see from the locations we have chosen stunning waterways.
• Our website is www.openwaterswimmer.ie and our facebook page is 'open water swimmer ireland'
Sky Dive for Charity
Jarlath Dufficy and Justina Petraskaite who work in Kelly's SuperValu will soon make a sponsored skydive in aid of the Boyle branch of Mayo Roscommon Hospice. Sponsorship cards will be available in local shops ... please support this ever-worthy cause.
Galilee Community, 'Mary - Woman of Faith'
On three consecutive Tuesdays in May; 14th, 21st and the 28th from 8-10pm and in Galilee Community Tintagh, Boyle. You can come to all three or any one or two that you are able to attend.
• Evening 1: Mary – woman of faith – model for our lives.
• Evening 2: The ‘Hail Mary’ – a support and anchor for people of all generations – scriptural source in St. Luke’s Gospel.
• Evening 3: Mary’s song, the Magnificat, acknowledging God’s way of justice for all, and praising the power of God who brings this about. Facilitator: Mary O’Connor
Call to Cooney Motors, Greatmeadow, Boyle to view our large stock of new and used vehicles.
Band of Brass to Shine at King House
Thursday, 30th May: Start your June Bank Holiday on the right note with Band of Brass who will perform a special concert in the elegant Main Salon of King House, Boyle. As guests of Boyle Arts Festival, this talented ensemble of eight accomplished Mayo musicians will present a lively & eclectic programme of well-known brass standards, light jazz & classical favourites under the direction of Ballina native Jackie Greham, M.D. of Castlebar Concert Band.
• The concert will start at 8pm and tickets are €10, which includes a complimentary glass of wine on the night.
• Tickets are available now from Úna Bhán Tourism on (071) 966 3033. Advance booking is recommended but tickets will be available on the door.
Magee's Fashion Shop, Main Street, Boyle, summer fashions for ladies with style. Large image [here...
Brogans stock all your favourites from Rimmel, Clarins, Max Factor, Bourgois, Dónal, and many more ...
Boyle Musical Society Celebration Concert
Tickets for Boyle Musical Society's eagerly anticipated 30th Celebration Concert are for sale now. The concert will take place on Friday May 31st at 8:30pm, in the atmospheric surroundings of St. Joseph’s Church in Boyle.
• Tickets are priced at €10 and are available at the Úna Bhán Craft Shop at King House, Taylor’s Jewellers on Bridge St. and Magee’s Fashions on Main St. Credit Card bookings on 071 9663033 during office hours only. For more information please go to www.boylemusicalsociety.com or follow us on Facebook
Abbey Haven says Thank You
Abbey Haven Care Centre & Nursing Home, Carrick Road, Boyle would like to say a sincere thanks to everyone who attended, contributed or baked for our Western Alzheimers Tea Day on Friday 26th April. We successfully raised €920 on the day and this money will go to secure help in the community for all those families caring for a loved one with Alzheimers Disease. A Big Thank you again from all at Abbey Haven. Set of photos [
Boyle - one of the 25 best places to holiday in Ireland
The Irish Times Best Place to Holiday in Ireland competition attracts more than 1,400 nominations. For the competition – which has been running since early March – members of the public were invited to nominate the places they love to holiday. There were more than 1,400 entries from every county in Ireland. Read the full pitch [
Grainne's Enhance - new premises in Carrick
• More photos [
We are on the N4, 2km from Boyle and close to Lough Key
You can lose weight, and get fit on a sásta Health, Fitness and Weight Loss programme with the good folks in Cortober, Carrick-on-Shannon.
website...] Call for free trial 087 202 6382. Pod in action [
"Where the grass is always greener"
Boyle Golf Club: Nine Hole parkland Course, Bar & Food facilities, Changing Rooms, Warm Welcome Assured, Special Membership Rates for 2013 ... call for info 085 858 7331 Visit www.boylegolfclub.com
Private Parties / Events: The clubhouse is available for Private Parties and Events ...
Dear Realboyle Supporter
Thank you for your ongoing support for realboyle.com.
Realboyle is seen by more viewers than ever as the website continues to grow in popularity! Boyle is one of only a small number of Irish towns with a website such as realboyle.com, updated at least 5 days a week and usually a number of times each day. We are always interested in ideas for enhancements to both the website and to the service we offer you.
• Please feel free to offer comment and suggestions.
• Contact realboyle (News & Advertise your business) News Items are published FREE : firstname.lastname@example.org
View our [Website...]
Full Details [
Join us at Taylors Interiors, Boyle, in our New Feature Area of contemporary Irish Craft and Design. All will be very welcome!
• Stephen Pearce Pottery
• Colm Di Ris Pottery
• Irish Linen House
• Duffy and Scott Candles
• O Riain Pottery
• Touch Design Ceramics
• The Handmade Soap Company
• Sevensisters Ceramics
• Belinda Northcote Designs
• Naomi Draper Glass
Imagined, Designed and Made in Ireland
Cooney Motors Showroom - Current Models [
Please Visit Our[
Visit the Topline Website at www.topline.ie/
Joe Simon Building Supplies
Joe Simon Building Supplies is a premier business in Boyle. Recently, Joe Simon injected a massive vote of confidence in Boyle and its future with a complete refurbishment of his premises.
• See a selection of photos [here...]
L.Key Forest Park - Tommy Fleming
Shannonside FM Report: Tommy Fleming will headline Roscommon's flagship event for the Gathering next year. Boyle will be the focal point for the festival being held on last weekend in May, the UK bank holiday.
Lough Key Forest Park will be transformed into a concert venue with the Mayo singer to headline on the Saturday night – an concert aimed at a younger audience is also being planned.
Roscommon Co Co Who's Who
At a recent meeting in Boyle Ros Co Co engineer said that people should "Contact their County Councillors ... that is the way Democracy works" Following on from that, here are contact details for Ros Co Concillors for the Boyle Electoral Area:
• Ernie Keenan (FineGael)
Carrickmore, Boyle, 086 077 9412 or 071 966 2626
• Gerry Garvey (FineGael)
Liscolvin, Hill Street, Carrick-on-Shannon 071 963 7282 or 087 988 7804
• John Cummins (Fianna Fáil)
Abbeytown, Boyle. 071 966 3354 or 086 823 4050
• Rachel Doherty (Fianna Fáil)
Cootehall, Boyle. 087 832 9092 or 071 966 7005
Boyle Chamber of Commerce
Council members of Boyle Chamber of Commerce this year are: Dara Callaghan, Stephen Bohan, Sara Condon, Sarah-Jane Daly, Lorcan Egan, Cecil Draper, Jackie Valentine, Mary Clifford, Mary Cretaro, Finbarr Feely, Alan Simon and Mike Smith. All are all working together for Boyle, lead this year by Ciaran O'Connor & Siobhan Gallagher.
Why Boyle? What does the area mean to you?
Boyle town has a 'heritage' feel, and is a very pleasant place in which to live, work, and to visit. The Boyle area is a special place. To its 2,500 population it is home. The Boyle area can boast its attractions King House, Boyle Abbey, Lough Key Forest Park Visitor and Activity Centre, Fine shops, Schools, Housing, Services, Bed & Breakfast and Accommodation Providers, Three great nearby lakes with superb fishing, Boyle Arts Festival, Talented musicians and performers, Sports facilities, Social and Hobby clubs, the Legend of Úna Bhán, the Dromanone Megalithic Dolmen. Just a short drive from Boyle are Carrowkeel and the Bricklieve Megalithic Cemetery, Original Mining Experience, Douglas Hyde Centre at Friend, the Dollars Coleman Centre in Green, Eireann Castle Hotel, Cromlech Lodge Hotel, and more. 10 miles from Boyle are our good neighbours in Carrick-on-Shannon with its Swimming Pool, 4-screen Cineplex, Indoor Bowling and International Stores.
• Read a short history of Lough Key and Castle Island[ here... ]
• Read the captivating Local Legend of Úna Bhán[ here... ]
• Where is Boyle? View our location on Google Maps[ here... ]
Why Choose Boyle?
Here are some reasons: Boyle's West of Ireland location, beautiful local scenery, access to the N4 National Primary route, all of the 7 up and 7 down daily trains stop at our railway station, we are 25 miles from Sligo City and Atlantic Ocean seaside resorts, 45 minutes from Knock International Airport, close to us are the River Shannon and 3 large famous lakes, a plethora of historical treasures, sports and social clubs abound.
• We have prime Tourist Attractions: King House, Boyle Abbey and Lough Key Forest Park We have leading edge schools, houses for sale, an active Town Council and Chamber of Commerce, High Speed Broadband, no pollution, a friendly "live and let live" attitude, fine shops and services, many highly talented inhabitants as well as excellent accommodation providers, restaurants and services.