|• King House, RTE filming "Nationwide" 12-1pm|
• Boyle Golf Club, Lady Presidents Scramble & Barbeque
• King House Grounds, Farmers Market 10am-2pm
• Boyle Golf club Lady Presidents Day
Chairperson Aileen Madden wrote: "It is with regret that the Boyle Horse and Summer Show committee have to announce that it has not been possible to secure a date in September to re-host the Show. The decision to cancel the show on Sunday morning was made with a very heavy heart but due to health and safety concerns we had no other option..."
Elphin diocese: "We want to advise all of our parishioners that there have been a number of break-ins in Churches in the diocese over recent days. Please keep your eyes open and report anything suspicious to the Gardaí. Please do not place yourself at risk by intervening directly."
Improve Your Health with Taoist Tai Chi arts. Health benefits include : improved circulation, reduced stress, improved balance & posture, increased strength & flexibility. New Beginner Classes (First class is free) start on Monday 31st August 7:30pm-9:30pm at the Convent Primary School, Carrick Road, Boyle. Contact Trish 087 746 7282 for more information. Everyone welcome.
At a recent Presentation of Certificates of Major Awards Level 5 in Information Technology, Roscommon Learning Links expressed its delight with the marked increase and progress of their students since January of this year. 18 students have finished their Training since April 2015 almost 60% of those have opted to go to University or Further Education to achieve Higher Certificates at Level 6 or Degree Programmes while 35% have taken up full-time employment. Their jobs include Tourism, Services
Sector, Hospitality, Auctioneering and Construction.
• Roscommon Learning Links Boyle, run full Time Level 4 and Level 5 Major Awards in Information Technology from their Training Rooms in Elphin Street.
RTE's Nationwide programme are currently touring Co. Roscommon and will be stopping off in King House between 12 noon and 1pm today. Why not come in and enjoy a FREE tour of the house while the crew film? Help us to put King House on the map as a tourism site in Roscommon!
Shannonside FM report: At 9.30 last night (Tuesday 25th), a man entered Mace on Shop Street in Boyle, brandishing a knife and demanding cash. A sum of money was handed over and the man left. Gardaí were alerted, and following a search of the area he was apprehended a short distance away, and the money was recovered. The man was arrested and taken to Castlerea Garda Station for questioning. He’s being held under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 and can be held for 24 hours.
Best Wedding Wishes to author, businessman, raconteur, songwriter, activist, realboyle and Roscommon herald columnist (not necessarily in that order smile), best friend John Mulligan and his partner Una. John and Una got married, were united, tied the knot, took the plunge, got hitched / spliced, became man and wife, plighted their troth ... all during the same ceremony on Wednesday 26th August 2015.
Saturday 29th August 11.00am - 12.30pm: Can you build a church, castle or a bridge like they did long ago? Try building your own built heritage using LEGO bricks! See what you can build to show off your local heritage (6-12 year olds)
Here's wishing our new Town Team well with its brief to reinvigorate the town through partnership with businesses and the local community.
• The next meeting of the new Boyle Town Team is scheduled for 6.45pm on Tuesday 15th September in Boyle Enterprise Centre.
Monday 24th August: Boyle GAA held a special Presentation Celebration in the GAA Clubhouse. The Lynch Family were presented with a special framed picture featuring photos of teams in which former Boyle and Connacht football star, the late veterinary surgeon Tim Lynch featured. Tony Conboy outlined Tim's football career and pointed to the many great Boyle and Roscommon footballers who played alongside Tim.
• Club Chairman Martin Dolan made the presentation to Tim's wife Nell in the presence of Lynch family members, his son Barry, daughter Odette and granddaughters Emily and Edith. Martin also thanked Nell on behalf of the club for permission to use the training pitch in Abbeytown.
• Boyle Club sponsors were also thanked for their continued generosity: Cooney Motors/Centra, National Automation, James Lannon Motors, McGovern Directional Drilling, Francis Bolger Sandblasting and Boyle Credit Union.
Michael wrote: Well done to Ciara Rooney and Seth Meredith who won the Captains Prizes to the Juniors at Boyle Golf Club. Well done also to all the other prize winners who won prizes in the various skills competitions. At the presentation Captains Sandra McCrann & Michael Rush thanked all those who took part and congratulated all the prizewinners. They paid special thanks to Brendan Gaffney, Moira Egan & Paddy Nangle and all those who coach the juniors.
Shannonside FM report: "There are over 600 people on the housing waiting list in county Roscommon." Cathaoirleach of the Boyle Municipal District, Rachel Doherty, says that with such long local waiting lists already, it would be crazy to consider any relocation plans and that rural counties like Roscommon and Leitrim do not have any extra capacity to provide accommodation for homeless people from the cities.
Green Street Veterinary Intermediate Ladies team photo prior to their championship victory over St. Ciarans on Saturday. The girls will be in action against Kilglass Gaels Tuesday 25th at 6.45pm in Croghan in a championship play-off. All support welcome.
Congratulations to the Boyle u16 girls relay team who won bronze medals at Community Games Finals. The team Ruth Cox, Aoife Valentine, Mary Ellen Halligan and Sinead Glennon
Following the disappointment of having to postpone Boyle Horse & Summer Show, and the excitement of the Roscommon Colour Run in Lough Key Forest Park, there was a treat in store for us in Boyle Abbey during Sunday afternoon. A special Heritage Week Event was enjoyed by all who attended. Three hours of excellent Traditional Singing, Music, Monologues and Dance were performed by locals, including members of Boyle Abbey OPW staff, with special guests from counties Sligo and Leitrim. Teas,
sandwiches and buns
went down a treat during a short break.
• Boyle Abbey is an excellent location for events like this, and it would be great to have repeats several times during the tourist season.
Today's Roscommon Colour Run, was a fantastic 'crawl, walk, or run', Colour event that attracted hundreds of participants of all ages and abilities. Participants were covered from head to toe in powder different colours before they made their way through a 4.2km route through our beautiful Lough Key Forest Park. All Proceeds will be donated to Aware!
• Aware was founded in 1985 by Dr. Patrick McKeon and a small but dedicated team of volunteers, many of whom had their own personal experience with depression, or bipolar disorder.
House for rent on St. Patrick St. Boyle from the 1st September. All mod cons. Open fire & oil heating. Rent reasonable. Please phone 086 816 4585.
Engineer Daniel O'Toole has created a "first in Ireland", his eco-friendly solar-powered cruiser. Electricity is generated by roof mounted solar panels, stored in batteries and then used to drive the propeller via an electric motor. Daniel demonstrated his invention for me today at Oakport Lake, Cootehall, in the company of his Irish language teacher dad Michael O'Toole. Daniel has already driven his solar cruiser from Boyle to Carrick-on-Shannon.
• Following his demonstration for me, Daniel was about to drive the cruiser from Oakport Lake all the way to Athlone ... bon voyage and happy sailing to this creative, inventive young man!
Friday 28th August: Audio visual presentation of Boat Building at Shannon Cruisers by Michael John Breheny 8.30pm in Ardcarne church of Ireland. Music by Ceolteoiri Lough Allen
Barry Beirne wrote: The 18 century Elphin windmill's circular roof is being thatched at the moment. It was first thatched in 1730 then restored in 1995 This is the only working windmill in the west of Ireland
I don't drink whiskey - in fact I dislike the taste of "Uisce Beatha". However, a recent trip to the Irish Whiskey Museum (119 Grafton street - nearly opposite Trinity College main gate) was a joy. On the same trip I visited the Teeling Distillery in Dublin's Liberties
FeelyStone Boyle are delighted to announce details of events as part of National Heritage Week on Friday 28th & Saturday 29th August from 2-6pm. The event will launch at 2pm on Friday 28th with the cutting of a cake to celebrate the family’s 235 years in the stone industry.
A lovely bike to be won instore ... its a colouring competition .... entries instore closing date 15th September.
Lost in the Forest View area. If you have information please call 086 364 0461
‘The Wizard of Oz’ rehearsals will begin on Monday August 31st in St. Joseph’s Hall, Boyle at 8pm and a warm welcome is extended to all new, former and existing members to join up for twelve unforgettable weeks of music, singing, drama, dancing, comedy and lots more.
Rehearsals will continue in the Hall at 8pm on Thursday Sept. 3rd and thereafter on Monday and Thursday nights.
Apparitions of the Virgin Mary at the grotto in Mount Melleray, Co Waterford, 30 years ago in August 1985 are being marked by evening prayers and processions there all this week and continuing until Monday.
Just one drink a day puts women at increased risk of breast and other alcohol-related cancers, a major study in the British Medical Journal published today suggests.
Úna Bhán Tourism is currently seeking applications for the position of 'Social Enterprise Research & Development Officer', the position is full time (39 hours per week) fixed term contract. For more information and job description please email firstname.lastname@example.org before Friday 21st August. The position is supported by the Department of Social Protection funded by Pobal.
Saturday 15th August: A large group of his friends assembled at Lough Key Harbour to pay tribute to a very special man, the late Pete Walsh. Some travelled in the Trinity Cruiser to Castle Island followed several others in various cruisers, boats and canoes, blew horns and returned to shore. There they were entertained by Marc Egan and Tommy McGlynn and enjoyed a super barbeque. Pete's son Colm spoke some touching words of remembrance, Pete's wife Bernie unveiled a specially commissioned plaque on the wall beside the boat shed and his daughter Catriona read aloud the lovely plaque inscription in memory of our friend Pete R.I.P.
Beginner Taoist Tai Chi Classes start with a free Introductory Class on Monday 31st August 7:30pm-9:30pm at the Convent Primary School, Carrick Road, Boyle. Contact Trish (087) 746 7282 for more information. Everyone welcome.
101 people have died on our roads so far this year, while 212 have sustained serious injuries. The Road Safety Authority is warning that unless the current trend’s reversed, 100 more road users will die this year.
• One in three drivers and passengers killed on the roads so far this year were not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the fatal collisions which took their lives.
Congratulations to Boyle man Simon O'Donnell for fitting out and launching his all-new fitness club.
• Boyle Boxing Fitness Club - Officially opening Monday 31st August
Monday 6.20pm-7.20pm. Kids from 8-12 years old Monday - Wednesday - Friday. Men also (13 age+) 7.30pm-9pm Men (beginners) Monday - Wednesdays-Friday 9pm-10pm Ladies Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:30-9pm. Ladies(beginners) Tuesdays and Thursdays 9pm-10pm. For groups bookings and any enquiries please contact Simon on 086 404 1830. NO MEMBERSHIP PAY AS YOU GO!!!
• Simon wrote: "I would like to thank you for all your help and support since I First opened in 2011. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all my friends and family who gave me their time and hands in the last two months to get the premises up and running. We will have an Open Week for people to come in and see what I will be doing. This will be from Monday 24th August until Friday 28th August from 5pm-7pm
Garage to let Green Street, Boyle. Central location with lift and office. Contact Simon 086 404 1830
Pictured at the Tullamore Show on Sunday (9th August) were Lydia Roger Communications Manager at Aurivo Co-Op and Mairead McGuinness, Fine Gael MEP for Midlands North-West and Vice President of the European Parliament.
Mairead McGuinness said: "It’s good and important that Agri-business is behind supporting the lives and limbs of farmers. Too many tragedies have been felt by too many Irish families. An all-out effort is needed at every level to drive the message home."
The cistercians were not known for using as much detail as other religious orders, but still we have examples of some beautiful work at Boyle Abbey.
"Sprint Triathlon Sunday September 6th: It will be a National Series event so we're expecting lots of top athletes fighting it out tooth and nail!
Since 2008, Laura and Mindaugas (Minde) have been managing a very successful cafe/restaurant beside Boyle Bridge in the centre of town. Now, seven years later they will try projects of a different nature. From Tuesday 1st September, the Stonehouse will be under new management.
As we thank Laura and Mindaugas for their courtesy and great food and service we wish the very best for them, and welcome fellow Lithuanian lady Inga to the Stonehouse.
MEP has written to Chair of Ag Committee to address issue at European level. With growing concern across the EU about commodity prices and farmers set to protest in Brussels on September 7th, Fine Gael MEP for Roscommon and Vice-President of the European Parliament, Mairead McGuinness, has called for a debate at the earliest opportunity on the state of agriculture markets.
Eugene Cummins has been formally approved as the new CEO of Roscommon County Council. Councillors met to accept the recommendation of Mr Cummins for the role from the Corporate Policy Group and the Public Appointments Commission. Mr. Cummins who lives in Ballygar has worked in Roscommon previously as well as in Galway and Limerick councils.
Everyone aged 70 years or over, ordinarily resident in Ireland, who does not have a Medical or GP Visit Card will be eligible for FREE GP care from Wednesday 5th August 2015. A registration form for the GP Visit Card - Over 70s scheme was available to download since Friday, 31st July 2015.
Alternatively, by calling 1890 252 919 you can request a registration form to be sent to you or a nominated contact. Registration forms will also be available from Community Health Offices.
Brilliant drawings by Vitya Malirsh are on display at Boles of Boyle. Vitya and his wife Susan have been welcome Boyle residents for the past 10 years
"Starting the walking tour at the Clock Tower on the Crescent you will see that the tower was erected in memory of Lawrence Harman King-Harman who died 2nd September 1875, by tenants of the Boyle and Rockingham estate"
• Text "Boyle, a Walking Tour" by Ann Toolan : photo 9th July © realboyle
Have you established yourself and developed a successful business in another country? If the answer is 'yes', then Boyle needs you!
• Boyle is a great little town, very well placed geographically in the West of Ireland. However at this post-recessionary time and assisted with the ebb and flow of the business life, our town is experiencing a number of closures. Empty shop fronts are a noticeable feature on every street.
• I suspect many of our traders are hurting - and battle weary (maybe that's not the right word!).
• YOUR INPUT, vision and current success would be most welcome here, whether for advice or as a guiding/helping hand. Maybe you will consider returning to the 'ould sod', start a branch of your business here, or get involved in Boyle's future...
• YOUR REPLIES/COMMENTS will be welcome (through me if you wish) - email@example.com. I will pass them to a relevant local authority, organisation or club.
Here are some reasons: Boyle's West of Ireland location, beautiful local scenery, access to the N4 National Primary route, all of the 7 up and 7 down daily trains stop at our railway station, we are 25 miles from Sligo City and Atlantic Ocean seaside resorts, 45 minutes from Knock International Airport, close to us are the River Shannon and 3 large famous lakes, a plethora of historical treasures, sports and social clubs abound.
• Prime Tourist Attractions: King House, Boyle Abbey and Lough Key Forest Park
• We have leading edge schools, houses for sale, a Chamber of Commerce, High Speed Broadband, no pollution, a friendly "live and let live" attitude, fine shops and services, many highly talented inhabitants as well as excellent accommodation providers, restaurants and services.
• The Shannon Waterway has been extended with a canal and marina close to the town. Nearby, Lough Key Forest Park has a Visitor Centre, Tree Top Walk, Restaurant, Adventure Play Kingdom, Zipit High Wire Adventure, Segway Trips and Bike Hire. It is indeed a picturesque area of high amenity value.
Click on a name...
Click on a town name...
Email news /events